Our Walk of Faith

All about "The Hike"..."For we walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7

My Photo
Name:
Location: Every where, God leads us

Chris's e-mail: mblur3@hotmail.com Rachel's e-mail: puddin9701@hotmail.com Chris's favorite quote: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore! Dream!" --Mark Twain ...Rachel's favorite quotes: "Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God" -- William Carey, who is called the father of modern missions and "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply" -- Hudson Taylor

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Our Story


“O LORD, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment you know where I am. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD…You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.” Psalm 139:1-4, 16

I’d like to share how I turned over penmanship of my life story to Jesus. You see, His pen flows blood-red, it never runs dry and it makes ALL things new….

I had been teaching in high school and coaching soccer for seven years. I was in a nice comfortable routine as my life seemed to be on auto-pilot. Bells would change classes, and whistles would start and end soccer matches. Everything on schedule, including my bathroom breaks. Well, the God that I serve can not be confined to a simple block schedule nor constrained in an eighty minute soccer match. Oh, no…He is way BIGGER than that… “His thoughts outnumber the grains of sand” As I soon found out.

Well, you know how I said that I was on “auto pilot” or “cruise control”. Most of you expert drivers know not to use the cruise control all the time…especially in the rain or you may hydroplane and lose control….Well, let’s just say God woke me from my slumber- I hit a major speed bump- Praise the Lord! The speed bump came in the form of a Bible study. A teacher named Holt Wilson invited me to a morning Bible study once a week before school. The study also involved a book entitled The Purpose Driven Life. There were about seven teachers initially involved with the Bible Study. During this time God was really convicting me of my complacency as a Christian, but He also encouraged me to keep seeking Him in prayer and scripture reading. Our group continued to meet every week and our number grew to about fifteen teachers. During this time God also transferred a student to our high school named Lawrence Powers. Lawrence came from a nearby high school that had a very active FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) chapter. Unfortunately at Smithfield-Selma High School our FCA had been dormant for years. However, Lawrence was not going to accept this fact. He approached me about leading FCA at SSS. Remember, I had been functioning on auto-pilot… “my” schedule, “my” plans…..I told him that I just did not have the time with all that I already had going on…etc., etc.. However, God created Lawrence to be a very persistent, determined young man. Day after day Lawrence returned, and day after day God was working on me and my stubborn complacency. Finally after many visits with God and with Lawrence, I conceded pending one stipulation….that I was not going to be a Huddle Coach by myself. I told him that here was on teacher in my Bible study named Rachel Langley and that if she agreed to help, I would be on board as well. Unbeknownst to me Lawrence had already been recruiting Rachel the entire time. Rachel was also feeding Lawrence many of the same excuses of why she could not help with FCA as well. However, when Lawrence returned to Rachel with my proposal, she wisely (ha-ha) opted to help with FCA too. At long last FCA was rekindled at Smithfield-Selma High School….Boy did sparks start flying- Our FCA chapter became very active. God’s plan for our chapter was to have a real heart for missions. He provided two Mission Trips to Mexico, two to Biloxi, Mississippi and one to Honduras, not to mention the countless opportunities at our school. Oh, and by the way…..remember that speed bump that started it all- Yes, the Bible study and seeking God’s plan. Remember “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

Well, it wasn’t in my prior day planner…However, God’s plan was so intricate and complex that not only did He give life to FCA again at SSS, but He also brought a Huddle Coach that He intended to be my Cuddle Coach for life. I proposed to Rachel in Mexico over Thanksgiving on our first FCA Mission Trip. Oh, but God’s plans just don’t stop- He is not a one day planner; he is an eternity planner…

So the adventure continues...Rachel and I have celebrated a year and a half of marriage…and this school year He has called us to yet another adventure- Thus begins OUR WALK OF FAITH…we will keep you posted…May God bless and protect you all!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lawrence said...

I dont know where to start... as I sit here and think about when I first met you guys (the cluttered and busy coach and the organized and loving teacher).... It almost makes me want to break out in tears (actually it already has)... it seems like just yesterday that we were holding our first FCA leaders meeting... how far God has brought us since then!! As me and Holt stood talking today as you guys left for your walk, the thing that popped into my head was "times change"... and boy how they have! Im a sophomore in college now- far from that new Junior in high school you guys first met... Ya'll are married! that one threw me for a loop... haha... but I guess God had it worked out from the beginning... you know I never really wanted to move to Smithfield, I hated the idea of it... I pleaded to God for Him to not let it happen... Im glad he dosent listen to me... haha.. (well He does, but you know what I mean!) You guys have been such a big part of my life these past couple of years that I cant imagine how my life would be right now if I had never met you. Chris, to see you grow in your faith the way you have over these past couple of years has given me purpose for God bringing me to Smithfield... and Rachel, the long mornings and afternoons I got to spend typing e-mails and flyers with you built a friendship I will never forget... You both mean so much to me... I cant imagine what it will be like to not have you right here within driving distance! Meeting you guys was one of the best things that Smithfield brought me... I never imagined FCA ending up like it has... and it was through your time, your work, your persistance and your faith that it is where it is today... I was just the pawn to get you guys involved.. what God did from there was way above me... and now you guys are doing something that I cant imagine... something that humbles me... something that strengthens my faith... and for that I thank you... Thank you for your time, for your patience and for your guidence that you have given me over the years.. it will never be forgotten... May God Bless you on your journey... Ill be praying for you every "step" of the way. Please let me know if I ever can be of assistance... (because I owe you both one)... I love you guys and wish you God speed...

Love,
Your Brother In Christ,
-Lawrence P.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ya'll I'm sorry I missed ya'lls start of the walk I was on my way to Tennessee Friday morning. I am sooo sorry but be safe and I will be praying for you all. I love ya'll very much.

Mollisa Norman

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris & Rachel, I send you off from The Salt House with BLESSINGS. Tonight was so awesome the presence of the Holy Spirit is still lingering, as I tell you one more time keep walking keep sharing Jesus he has called you for such a time as this. You guys will be in our prayers. Can't wait for YMFC to catch up with you somewhere on the road. And then to hear what the ministry has sent your way. Be Blessed. Sent with Much Love"Wonder how I can feel that after just a few hours with you guys. Thats just a God connection."
Penny Leggett 11/01/2006

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys totally ROCK! Praise God for what He is doing in and through you. I am so inspired by your faithful obedience. Our lives are such a whirlwind (with routines that hopfully give our kids a sense of security). You can have a taste of it if you check out our phanfare site. Thank you for the extreme reminder to seek God first. It is great to see your face and read your words Rachel. WOW! You are my hero!!!And Chris, I feel as though I have met you by looking through this window into your lives. I hope that we WILL meet you someday and maybe get a little 2v2 on: "A team" verses y'll. Not that you are not already covered in prayer, but know that I'm sending'm out to y'll during your walk of faith. I sure wish your journey could take a swing up to Bar Harbor. How sweet that M&M get to join you for Christmas. Oh and Rache-love the hair:)Amanda

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I thoght my site would be posted. If not here it is: www.ateam.phanfare.com

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys how are yall???
I miss you too SO much.
I know yall are doing good because yall are in God's Hands!!!

-God Bless-
loni lester
(barrel racer)
p.s please keep in touch w/ me!
my email is:barrel_racer_2014@yahoo.com

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola soy David Ixcoy.. de Ministerios BETHEL de Guatemala--- Que Dios les Bendiga y haga prosperar cada dia mas las bendiciones que el tiene para ustedes.... les bendecimos y esperamos que el pueda levantarles y hacer de ustedes....... personas ejemplares.... nos vemos... y que Dios guie el caminar de cada uno

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home